Posted on February 11, 2022
How to Apply Fake Tanning Products at Home
More and more people are turning to fake tanning products to create that bronzed look most people love. People have turned their backs on UV Tanning due to health risks and skin aging issues. Unfortunately, we have all seen some pretty horrendous fake tanning disasters too. In order to make sure you're not one of them, you need to consider some vital factors.
Preparation is key to the successful application of any fake tanning product, whether self-applied or professionally applied. Here are some important steps you must take to ensure that perfect fake tan/sunless tan does not turn out to be a disaster.
- Wax or shave a minimum of 24 hours before your tanning session
- exfoliate so you have smooth skin on which to apply your fake tanning products
- Don't wear perfumes, or moisturizers – only wear moisturizer on dry areas and to feet and hands
- wear old underwear to avoid staining
If you are applying the product yourself here are some application tips:
- Start at the bottom of your legs and work your way up
- always apply in circular motions this way you are less likely to get streaks
- Use a tanning mitt or vinyl glove to protect your hands from staining
- use a product with instant bronzers so you can see where you have already applied the product
- let the product dry before getting dressed
- leave for up to 8 hours before showering
There are many tanning products out there, so you need to think about what will work best for you, some options available are:
Gradual tan and tan extender creams – these are best if you are a novice tanner. They have less DHA (dihydroxyacetone) which is the ingredient that works with the dead skin cells to make your skin turn brown. This allows you to apply multiple coats to get a deeper tan color or just one coat for a natural-looking fake tan.